Let’s go house hunting!
Low-emission search. Organic results.
I went house hunting for you in Snohomish and King County. While inventories are at a historic low in most areas, there ARE homes for sale.
I searched the Northwest Multiple Listing (NWMLS) database for single-family homes. Some townhouses or condos will be included if they are free-standing structures. The only requirement for all searches was at least three bedrooms and at least two bathrooms.
Search results are as of February 25th and 26th. The actual results of the house hunting reports may be different because hour by hour the count changes. To get the house hunting report of your county/price range, enter the county and price range on the pop-up form.
Number of listed homes in different price ranges
Snohomish County Listings
- 10 – Under $300,000
- 73 – $300,001 to $450,000
- 90 – $451,000 to $600,000
- 149 – $600,001 to $850,000
- 38 – $850,001 t0 $1,000,000
- 53 – $1,000,000 to $2,000,000
8 homes above $2,000,000
King County Listings
- 38 – Under $400,000
- 108 -$400,001 to $550,000
- 140 – $551,000 to $700,000
- 103 – $701,001 to $850,000
- 85 – $850,001 t0 $1,000,000
- 183 – $1,000,001 to $2,000,000 (Eastside)
- 100 – $1,000,001 to $2,000,000 (Seattle, North/South)
206 homes above $2,000,000
Compared to Snohomish, there are twice as many listings in King County.
New Construction accounts for about one-third in both counties.
In King County as of February 25th, 2018 every other home was listed for more than $1 million. 489 homes were listed above $1 million and 474 homes were listed below $1 million. While Snohomish county prices are rising also, the house hunting looks more promising. Only 61 homes were listed above $1 million compared to 360 homes below $1 million. However, the total number of homes listed in King County was more than double that of Snohomish County – 963 in King versus 421 in Snohomish. (These numbers are for homes with a minimum of 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.)
The lack of inventory in King County would be worse were it not for new construction which accounts for 328 (34 percent) of the 963 listings. 135 of the 328 new construction homes are listed below $1 million, 77 are priced between $500,000 and $750,000, and not one is priced below $500,000.
New construction accounts for 134 (31 percent) of the 421 homes in Snohomish County. 112 homes are less than $1 million and 58 are priced between $500,000 and $750,000. 18 homes cost less than $500,000.
The problem is that there are not enough resales. Even with the new construction, the inventory in many parts of King and Snohomish counties is at an all-time low. That makes house hunting a challenge.
- Before house hunting, get pre-approved and underwritten by a mortgage lender.
- Be ready to compromise on location.
- Get a real estate agent with a stellar reputation in the industry.
- Get educated on the process long before you make an offer.
- Remember that making an offer is not the same as buying a home.
- Be flexible with offer terms, but know what would make you unhappy.
- An offer that’s contingent on the sale of your home is more likely to succeed with a builder.
- Don’t incur any major debt once you’ve been pre-approved for a loan.
- Tell your loan officer about any anticipated changes in your employment status.
- Check with your loan officer whether you qualify for down payment assistance.
- Know that I would not let you buy a home that I would not want to list.
Snohomish County Detail
Priced below $300,000
- 10 listings (8 eligible for down payment assistance)
- Average square footage: 1,435
- Average days on market: 26
- Price reduced since listing: 0
The Hat Island home is fully furnished and “comes with a vehicle.” The Snohomish City listing is 5 acres, saying “bring your builders.”
Priced between $300,001 and $450,000
- 73 listings (72 eligible for down payment assistance)
- Average square footage: 1,868
- Average days on market: 31
- Price reduced since listing: 2
A Bothell estate sale, sold as is for $425,000 says “Priced for flipper or homeowner willing to put the money & effort in.” “Cape Cod Charm & Character!” promises an Everett home, listed for $413,500. Another $425,000 Everett listing states “Fantastic opportunity to build 4 town-home project.”
Priced between $450,001 and $600,000
- 90 listings (18 eligible for eligible for down payment assistance)
- Average square footage: 2,427
- Days on market average: 43
- Price reduced since listing: 4
A new construction home in Lynnwood is offered for $559,950. “Shadow color cabinets and wifi capable garage door openers with remotes” are included. “Need 5 bedrooms? Want guest quarters? Well, here it is!” says this Everett listing which is in a development with a Home Owner Association. But monthly fees are only $13.
Priced between $600,001 and $850,000
- 149 listings
- Average square footage: 2,927
- Average days on market: 66
- Price reduced since listing: 19
Listed as 2018 homes, 48 of the 149 are new construction, located in Bothell, Lynnwood, Monroe, Lake Stevens, City of Snohomish, and Stanwood. Twenty new construction homes are listed Pre-Sale with a promised completion in the fall of 2018.
Priced between $850,001 and 1,000,000
- 38 listings
- Average square footage: 3,420
- Average days on market: 145
- Price reduced since listing: 9
14 of the 38 homes are new construction. Among them is a 3,316 square foot Bothell home that has been reduced by $100,000 to $874,950. It is one of 97 new homes, all sitting on small lots. One of these 38 homes has been on the market for almost 3 years and it skews the average. The owner of the home is also the listing agent and the builder.
Priced between $1,000,001 and 2,000,000
- 53 listings
- Average square footage: 4,135
- Average days on market: 132
- Price reduced since listing: 6
22 of the 53 homes are new construction. However, if you are looking for 34 acres of land and a 5-car garage, there is an estate in Sultan to be had for $1,200.000. Closer in, there is a 3,811 square foot $1,099,000 home in Mill Creek’s Evergreen community. Not modest at all, the listing says “This beautiful home boasts of 4 spacious bedrooms + a MIL downstairs with it’s (sic) own kitchen…”
There are eight Snohomish homes listed above $2,000,000.
King County Detail
Priced below $400,000
- 38 listings (34 eligible for eligible for down payment assistance)
- Average square footage: 1,874
- Average days on market: 43
- Price reduced since listing: 3
“Wow!! Hard to find Rambler in excellent condition in a fantastic neighborhood! Over $50K in Upgrades!” says this $399,950 Auburn listing. The seller of a $380,000 Renton home would like to rent the home for two weeks after closing at no cost. This is not an unusual request in a sellers’ market.
Priced between $401,000 and $550,000
- 108 listings (96 eligible for down payment assistance)
- Average square footage: 2,449
- Days on market average: 51
- Price reduced since listing: 9
A $485,000 Seattle home offers says it is rare and offers “city and mountain views, hot tub, RV/Boat parking and a HUGE shop!!” The only Redmond home in this price range is near Ames Lake. Priced at $525,000 the listing promotes a “chef’s kitchen with upscale appliances.
Priced between $550,001 and $700,000
- 140 listings
- Average square footage: 2,730
- Average days on market: 50
- Price reduced since listing: 21
An Upper Rainier Beach home built in 2005 and listed 170 days ago was reduced from $790,000 to $698,588. Now asking $685,000 a Redmond home was originally listed for $579,950. Being sold as part of a bankruptcy, the price increase is not unusual.
Priced between $700,001 and $850,000
- 103 listings
- Average square footage: 3,008
- Days on market average: 56
- Price reduced since listing: 10
“Through the gated well-manicured landscaped stone entry is a beautiful updated sun-filled rambler” begins the listing description of a Bellevue home. Listed at 849, 999, the home is located in the Issaquah school district. An $845,000 Woodinville home is sold as part of a bankruptcy. Buying a home in these circumstances can be complex but worthwhile the effort and time.
Priced between $850,001 and $1,000,000
- 85 listings
- Average square footage: 3,011
- Average days on market: 53
- Price reduced since listing: 8
24 of these 85 listings are new construction, seven are completed. A Kirkland home in the Juanita area is listed at $985,000 and includes a “Play room/5th bedroom, bonus room & guest suite.” To be finished in April 2018 is a $989,995 Bothell new construction home that advertises itself as being located “in the newest community in highly sought after Bothell.”
Priced between $1,000,001 – 2,000,000 (Eastside)
- 183 listings
- Average square footage: 3,650
- Average days on market: 66
- Price reduced since listing: 7
77 of these 180 listings are new construction, only six of them are completed. 31 of the new construction homes are in Sammamish. Typical is a $1,187,995 4-bed, 3.5 bath 3,533 square foot home. It doesn’t have a bedroom and a 3/4 or full bath on the main floor, something many buyers want. Built in 2007, a home in Newport Hills with a Bellevue address has been on the market for 67 days. Even after a price reduction, it has not found a buyer. Probable reason: it’s not located in the Bellevue school district.
There are 131 homes listed above $2,000,000 on the Eastside.
Priced between $1,000,001 – 2,000,000 (Seattle and North/South)
- 100 listings
- Average square footage: 3,482
- Average days on market: 82
- Price reduced since listing: 11
Only 17 of these 100 listings are new construction, with eight of them completed. To be completed in April is a $1,495,990 home in the Richmond Beach community of Shoreline. “Water views from all 3 levels…with a den and 3/4 bath on the main floor…” says the listing of this 4,106 square foot home. Closer to downtown Seattle is a $1,499,950 pre-sale, 3,769 square foot home on a surprisingly large 9,222 square foot lot. It too has a 3/4 bath on the main floor.
There are 73 homes listed above $2,000,000 in Seattle and to the north and south of the city.
Happy House Hunting!